top of page

Worth seeing in and around Szprotawa

Coming to the Henryków Palace, it is worth exploring the area.

You can go for a walk to Szprotawa on foot. From a distance you can see the two towers of the town hall - a phenomenon on a national scale. In addition, the eastern tower is leaning, and the inhabitants imprisoned inside it 200 years ago left inscriptions on the walls. Currently, the building is the seat of the municipal authorities. Inside, on the ground floor, there is a knight's hall with a historic stove, a cross-arch vault and stained glass windows. On the second floor, there is a column room with a decorated ceiling depicting, among others, city coat of arms. The town hall also has a small inner courtyard. On the west side of the town hall there is a historic Baroque whale fountain. It comes from the second half of the 17th century.

Church of st. Andrew the Apostle - was established in the first half of the thirteenth century. A Romanesque portal made of sandstone leads to the temple. The interior of the temple is hidden by a late-gothic cabinet altar from the beginning of the 20th century. XVI century, stone Romanesque baptismal font and Renaissance epitaphs. The church does not have a belfry, it is located in the tower next to the church.

Church of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - the first written mention of the temple dates back to 1260. Originally it was a stone structure much smaller than it is today. In the 15th century, the church was expanded. The interior has a baroque and regency decor. On the northern wall there is a tombstone of Bertold from Wierzbno, considered the oldest dated tombstone of Lower Silesia. Under the church there are inaccessible tomb crypts and an alleged junction of underground passages.

Church of Divine Mercy - erected on the ruins of the former castellan's castle. In the 17th century, as a result of the Thirty Years' War and a fire, the castle was destroyed. In the years 1745 - 1747, an Evangelical church was erected in this place, which was then rebuilt into classicist forms. In the 1960s, the church was seriously damaged as a result of neglect and devastation. Opposite the temple is the building of the former Evangelical school with a sundial on top.

Szprotawa Park of Stone Signposts - a grouping of approx. 30 historic signposts from the 19th century and older, located in natural locations in the Szprotawa commune. Most of the artifacts are located within the village of Wiechlice, and in the surrounding towns: Henryków , NowaKopernia, Borowina, Cieciszów, Kartowice, Dzikowice, Rusinów, and Szprotawka. Some of them have the date of execution engraved on the reverse, e.g. 1820 (Wiechlice), 1889 (Henryków). Among the signposts there are signs showing the direction and informing about the border of the town, as well as showing the direction to one or several towns at once.

To learn more about the past of Szprotawa and its former inhabitants, you can visit the Gallery of Regional Collections. It is also worth visiting the House of History, it is the oldest and most interesting collection of exhibits, photos and documents related to the history of the city and the region.

There are also guides in Szprotawa who will be happy to show tourists around.

More information: Szprotawa - For Tourists

In Żagań, only a dozen or so kilometers from the Palace of Henryków, many unique monuments await tourists. Among them, min. The Ducal Palace with a park, the Augustinian Monastery Complex, or the Museum of POW Camps where during WWII there was a mass escape of Allied prisoners known as The Great Escape.

More information: TOURISM | Żagań City Hall (

Żagań Tourist Information Center
ul. Szprotawska 4, 68-100 Żagań
Tel. 68 477 10 01

Halfway to Żagań, from the village of Bobrzany, you can go to Janowiec, where in an apiary with many years of tradition, apart from the production of honey, ulotherapy is provided. The owners - the Wojterowie family - ensure that staying in their "Pszczela Kraina" therapeutic house brings many benefits for health and spirit.

Tel. contact: +48 721 611 977

Ponds Przemkowskie Reserve

By bike 24 km (Pałac Henryków / Wiechlice / Cieciszów / Sucha Dolna / Rudziny / Ostaszów)

By car DK12 26 km

The reserve is located in the northern part of the Dolnośląskie Voivodeship, in the Polkowice poviat, within the administrative borders of the Przemków town and commune. This area belongs to the Szprotawa Plain mesoregion, the Szprotawa River flows through the center of the reserve. The voivodeship border runs along the ponds from the north and north-west, bordering with the Lubuskie Voivodeship. From the north-east and east, the area borders on the ecological site "Przemkowskie Bagno". From the south it is surrounded by the villages of Ostaszów, Łężce and Przemków. The oldest ponds were established around 1860 during the reign of Prince Christian August von Schleswig-Holstein (initially on the area of 250 ha). In the 1970s, they were extended to the present area. Ponds Przemkowskie is the second largest complex of fish ponds in Lower Silesia (after Milickie Ponds), where carp are mainly bred.

The total area of the reserve is 1046.25 ha, of which the forest area is only 137.57 ha, while 908.68 ha is the area of ponds and forest.

131 species of birds have been found in the reserve, including: black stork, white-tailed eagle, black kite, shed, curlew, gray crane, black cormorant. The nature path Stawy Przemkowskie, approx. 16 km long, marked in blue, runs through the reserve. Entry to the reserve is possible only with a guide.

szlak winaimiodu 1.png

Lubuski Wine and Honey Trail


Grape wine and bee honey are one of the oldest, natural, food products accompanying the development of mankind since ancient times. Central Nadodrze is the region where the industrial cultivation of the grapevine has survived the longest in northern Europe and left its mark on the spiritual and material heritage of these lands. Beekeeping and beekeeping also have a rich history here.

This heritage is the foundation of the reviving winemaking and the development of bee breeding in the Lubuskie Region. Lubuskie museologists and regionalists, as well as residents of the voivodeship, take care of them by creating private beekeeping open-air museums or collecting artifacts related to the wine tradition at the vineyards. The initiative to create the "Lubuski Wine and Honey Trail" as a tourist product based on the region's potential related to traditional products produced in vineyards and apiaries, was born in 2006, and its premiere took place two years later at the VII Tourist Fair "ZATUR 2008". The trail is now over fifty places where you can see the present and history of Lubusz winemaking and beekeeping. Hotels and agritourism farms that cooperate with winemakers and beekeepers provide accommodation. Additional attractions for visitors of the region are provided by picturesque forests and lake districts with a developing tourist base, around which the trail loop runs.


Link to the website:

bottom of page